. Alas, not me: Review: The Flame Imperishable: Tolkien, St. Thomas, and the Metaphysics of Faërie

26 April 2019

Review: The Flame Imperishable: Tolkien, St. Thomas, and the Metaphysics of Faërie

The Flame Imperishable: Tolkien, St. Thomas, and the Metaphysics of Faërie The Flame Imperishable: Tolkien, St. Thomas, and the Metaphysics of Faërie by Jonathan S. McIntosh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In letter 142 Tolkien says that "The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work" and that "the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism." Nothing could make how literally Tolkien meant 'fundamentally' as clear as Jonathan S. McIntosh's excellent study,The Flame Imperishable.

This book needs to be read twice. In fact it deserves to be read twice.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I saw some chatter about this book in the TS Facebook group, but the title made me wary that it would go over my head...but I am interested in the topic, so your comments have prompted me to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete