. Alas, not me: Review: 'The Apprenticeship of J. R. R. Tolkien' by Simon J. Cook

19 August 2021

Review: 'The Apprenticeship of J. R. R. Tolkien' by Simon J. Cook

 






Simon Cook is one of the most thoughtful and perceptive Tolkien scholars of this generation. His insights into Tolkien's relationship with his text, with Beowulf, and with the Beowulf poet inform his understanding of what Tolkien was doing when he set out to write what he at first called 'the new Hobbit', but which we know as The Lord of the Rings. Like most books worth actually reading once, The Apprenticeship of J. R. R. Tolkien is worth reading twice. I thought it terrific when I first read it three years ago. Now after three years spent reading, thinking, and writing about Tolkien myself, I have reread it and am now even more convinced of this work's value than I was then.



No comments:

Post a Comment